- Students can borrow up to 5 books at a time, not counting textbooks and class novels. This limit may be extended for students who have shown responsibility in returning their books.
- The default borrowing period for most books is 2 weeks. Graphic novels and comics have a 1 week borrowing period. Textbooks and class novel sets can be kept for longer.
- Books can be renewed if no other student has a hold on them. You can place a hold on a book through your Destiny account, or by asking the Teacher-Librarian.
- If you have overdue or lost books, your borrowing limit may be reduced or put on hold until your account is clear.
We teach students to value and care for the materials that they borrow. All books in our Library collection belong to every student. By taking care of them and taking responsibility for them, students can ensure that books will be shared with others who would like to read them.
- If a book is checked out to you, you are responsible for it. Do not give your borrowed books to someone else without having them sign them out.
- Keep books away from food and liquids, pets and anyone who may handle them roughly.
- If a book comes back with significant damage (water, dirt, tears, creasing), students will be asked to contribute towards the cost of replacement so that we can ensure more readers can enjoy that title. Each damaged book will be assessed on a case-by-case basis by the Teacher-Librarian, taking age and condition at time of borrowing into consideration. A notice will be sent home with the student (on paper) and emailed to parents/guardians.
- Can’t find a book? Make sure you check your locker, school bag, classroom (especially on shelves), home and vehicles. Often lost books are found when cleaning lockers, organizing classrooms, or tidying your house.
- A book will be marked “Lost” if a student reports that they are unable to find it, or if it remains overdue for more than 60 days. All books not returned by June 15th will be automatically marked as lost.
- If you believe you have returned your book, please come down to the Library and the Teacher-Librarian will help you to search for it. Sometimes lost books are returned to shelves or tables by other students, or are not checked in properly, so there is a chance it may be found in the Library.
- If the book cannot be found by either the student or the Teacher-Librarian, a fee will be charged to replace it. Replacement fees for lost books will be assessed on a case-by-case basis by the Teacher-Librarian, taking age and condition at time of borrowing into consideration. A notice will be sent home with the student (on paper) and via email to parents/guardians.
- Students can also provide a replacement copy of the same book in the same format (ie. if the original was hardcover, the replacement copy should be too.)
- All fees are payable to Cedar Hill Middle School and can be submitted by cash or cheque to the main office.
- If financial hardship is a consideration, please feel free to get in touch with our Principal, Mr. Geisbrecht.
- If a lost book is found and returned within one year after a fee has been paid, a refund will be issued.